Complaints Procedure

Our aim is to provide the highest level of care for all our patients. We will always be willing to hear if there is any way that you think that we can improve the service we provide.

Making a complaint

Most problems can be sorted out quickly and easily, often at the time they arise with the person concerned and this may be the approach you try first.
Where you are not able to resolve your complaint in this way and wish to make a formal complaint you should do so as soon as possible after the event and ideally within a few days, as this helps us to establish what happened more easily.

In any event, this should be:

  • Within 12 months of the incident,
  • or within 12 months of you discovering that you have a problem.

State your case clearly giving as much detail as you can. If you are a registered patient you can complain about your own care. You are unable to complain about someone else’s treatment without their written authority. See the separate section in this leaflet.

You can write to us or we can provide you with a separate complaints form to register your complaint. We can also provide you with a third-party authority form to enable a complaint to be made by someone rather than the patient. Please ask our receptionists.

Send your written complaint to:
Deputy Practice Manager
Tynemouth Medical Practice
Tynemouth Road
London N15 4RH

What we will do next

We look to settle complaints as soon as possible. We will acknowledge receipt of the complaint within 3 working days of receiving it and aim to to send you a full response within 1 month. Sometimes, depending on the nature of your complaint, it can take longer to investigate your complaint fully; should this be the case, we will keep you updated of the status of your complaint.

Where your complaint involves more than one organisation (e.g. social services) we will liaise with that organisation so that you receive one coordinated reply. We may need your consent to do this. Where your complaint has been sent initially to an incorrect organisation, we may seek your consent to forward this to the correct person to deal with.

When the investigations are complete, we will send you a final response letter, including details of the result of your complaint and also your right to escalate the matter further if you remain dissatisfied with the response.

Complaining on behalf of someone else

We keep to the strict rules of medical and personal confidentiality.

If you wish to make a complaint and are not the patient involved, we will require the written consent of the patient to confirm that they are unhappy with the service or care they have received, and that we can deal with someone else about it.

Please ask reception for the Third Party Complaints Authority Form.

Where the patient is incapable of providing consent due to illness or accident it may still be possible to deal with the complaint. Please provide the precise details of the circumstances which prevent this in your covering letter.

Please note that we are unable to discuss any issue relating to someone else without their express permission, which must be in writing, unless the circumstances above apply.

We may still need to correspond direct with the patient, or may be able to deal direct with the third party, and this depends on the wording of the authority provided.

What you can do next

We hope that, if you have a problem, you will use our practice complaints procedure. We believe that this will give us the best chance of putting right whatever has gone wrong and the opportunity to improve our practice.

However, this does not affect your right to approach NHS England, if you feel you cannot raise your complaint with us, or if you are dissatisfied with the result of our investigation.

You can contact NHS England by email at
by post to

NHS England
PO Box 16738
Redditch B97 9PT

or by phone on 0300 311 2233.

We endeavour to resolve all your concerns through local resolution process, but if you feel we have not done so to your satisfaction, you have the right to take your complaint to the 0345 015 4033.

This should be done within six months of our response.

Contact can also be made with the Ombudsman by Email:
or by Fax: 0300 061 4000

If you would prefer to write, the address is:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower
London SW1P 4QP

Further information about the Ombudsman is available at

You may also like to contact the following, for help and advice from an independent body free of charge:

POhWER London Independent Health Complaints Advocacy Service (IHCAS)

Telephone: 0300 456 2370 (charged at local rate)

London IHCAS Advocacy Hub,
POhWER, Hertlands House,
Primett Road, Stevenage,
Hertfordshire, SG1 3EE